Adjunct Associate Professor, J. Vernon Luck Orthopaedic Research Center
213 742-1442 Telephone
Ph.D., Materials Science, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA (1994)
M.S., Materials Science, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA (1991)
M.S., Chemical Engineering, National Taiwan University of Science & Technology (1989)
B.S., Chemical Engineering, National Taiwan University of Science & Technology (1987)
Dr. Shen's research involves the development of polymeric materials for orthopaedic implants, and the evaluation of their performance in the patient. In particular, he has collaborated on the development of a number of types of highly wear resistant crosslinked polyethyhlenes for hip and knee joint replacements. During the past ten years, these have been implanted in hundreds of thousands of patients, and their excellent clinical performance has helped to markedly extend the useful lifespan of hip and knee replacement. Current research effort is focused on identifying modifications that will further improve the strength, wear resistance and long-term oxidative stability of the crosslinked polyethylenes.
- 1998 Kappa Delta Ann Doner Vaughn Award for Outstanding Orthopaedic Research, Orthopaedic Research Society and the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery
- 1995-1998 Elinor Barry Research Fellowship, Los Angeles Orthopaedic Hospital
- Wear Resistant Surface-Gradient Crosslinked Polyethylene
H. McKellop and F.W. Shen; U.S. Patent issued: December 26, 2000
- Crosslinking of Polyethylene for Low Wear using Radiation and Thermal Treatments
F.W. Shen, H. McKellop, R. Salovey; U.S. Patent issued: May 8, 2001
- Chemically Crosslinked Ultrahigh Molecular Weight Polyethylene and Uses Thereof
R. Salovey, H. McKellop, F.W. Shen; U.S. Patent issued: August 28, 2001
- Wear Resistant Surface-Gradient Crosslinked Polyethylene (continuation)
H. McKellop and F.W. Shen; U.S. Patent issued: December 17, 2002
- Crosslinking of Polyethylene for Low Wear using Radiation and Thermal Treatments (continuation)
F.W. Shen, H. McKellop, R. Salovey; U.S. Patent issued: October, 2004
PUBLICATIONS (recent articles)
Shen, F.-W. and McKellop, H.A.: The interaction of oxidation and crosslinking in gamma irradiated ultrahigh molecular weight polyethylene. J. Biomed. Mater. Res., 61:430-439, 2002.
Wu, H.-C., Shen, F.-W., Hong, X., Chang, W.V. and Winet, H.: Monitoring the degradation process of biopolymers by ultrasonic longitudinal wave pulse-echo technique. Biomaterials, 24:3871-3876, 2003.
Campbell, P, Shen, F.-W. and McKellop, H.: Biologic and tribologic considerations of alternative bearing surfaces. Clin. Orthop., 418:98-111, 2004.
Shen, F.-W. and McKellop, H.A.: Surface-Gradient Crosslinked Polyethylene Acetabular Cups: Oxidation Resistance and Wear against Smooth and Rough Femoral Balls.
Clin. Orthop., 430:80-88, 2005.
Link to My Pubmed Publications >>