Requirements for post-doctoral fellows selected for the training grant
- M234. Ethics and Accountability in Biomedical Research or equivalent. Course focuses on situations arising in the laboratory that may present ethical dilemmas for graduate students. This requirement may be excused if documentation of comparable training is provided.
- CTSI Training Curriculum Program in Translational Investigation (TCPTI)-
- Track II or Track III (Note: there is a tuition cost for Track III that the T32 program does not cover)
- Thursday afternoon workshops
- A Scientific Writing Seminar Series
- A Career Guidance Program
- A Visiting Speaker Program
- Frontiers in Biotechnology Course
These sessions have been designed to be a compliment to the CTSI TCPTI) curriculum and address three major facets of life within the scientific research community:
- Managing a Career in Research.
i) How to Publish ii) Attending Scientific and Clinical Meeting iii) Getting Funded iv) Obtaining and Negotiating a Faculty Position
- Laboratory Leadership.
i) Time Management ii) Mentoring and Being Mentored iii) Collaborating iv) Leadership Skills
- Laboratory Administration and Ethics.
i) Budgets and Budgeting ii) Current Issues in Research Ethics iii) Technology Transfer and Working with Industry iv) A roundtable -How do I Manage my Research Project?
My IDP (Individual Development Plan)
Individual Development Plans (IDPs) are a customized roadmap for your professional training and goals. The IDP process guides you to reflect on your ultimate career goals, where you are now, and define specific actions toward achieving those goals.
You will be expected to complete/review your IDP annually and attest that this has been done on the required annual progress report.
See the UCLA Professional Development site for additional information - https://grad.ucla.edu/careerhub/best-practices-for-graduate-students/
myIDP is available through Science Careers at http://myidp.sciencecareers.org/
NIH Grant Application
You will be expected to submit an NIH “F” or “K” grant application during your fellowship
Research Career Development Awards >
Internal UCLA Seminars
Attendance at two or more of the following weekly seminars is required
- Joint Bone Group Seminars
Thursdays 1-2pm in the Biomedical Sciences Research Building, room 154
- Biomedical Engineering (BME) Seminars
Thursdays 12 noon in the 2nd Floor Seminar Room of Engineering V http://www.bioeng.ucla.edu/
- CTSI Seminars
Wednesdays 12 noon https://www.ctsi.ucla.edu/seminar/ (some seminars may be on other days of the week.)
- MBI Seminars
Thursdays 4pm , 159/173 Boyer Hall http://www.mbi.ucla.edu/seminars/thursday-research-seminars/
- Orthopaedic Surgery Grand Rounds
Wednesdays 7:30am , Santa Monica Hospital Central Wing Auditorium, Rm. G340 Grand Rounds
Other appropriate seminar series may be used to fulfill this requirement upon approval by the Directors.